Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Sunday Snag – A Paisley Day

1960s Paisley Dress on ChatterBlossom #vintage #1960 #paisley #retro

Gosh, you know, I've never owned a single paisley print item until this dress. It surprised me actually because I quite like paisley. It is such a whimsical print and I was excited when I saw this dress had it in such a pretty magenta! 

I picked this dress up from The Cleveland Shop while I was up there for All Balboa Weekend, a four day long dancing event that also happens to have vintage and vintage reproduction vendors from the area participate. That equals dangerous ground for my pocket book. Dancing plus vintage in one spot?! Hide, wallet, hide!

This isn't the first dress I've gotten from The Cleveland Shop. I picked up a perfectly lovely green floral one at the last dancing weekend I had as well, which happened to be in Raleigh. I wore it to my first craft fair and you can click here to see that outfit. I loved that dress and was super excited to get to browse that shop's offerings again. 

Vintage 1960s Outfit on ChatterBlossom #vintage #1960 #retro #fashion

This dress looks to be a late 50s, early 60s piece in fuchsia, green, and white. It has a front zipper, a fun button flap neckline, and a full skirt where the paisley print increases in size toward the bottom. I did a lot of work to this dress. It fit my waistline when I bought it, but the bust and shoulders were way to big. I figured this would be a perfect alterable dress because the print would mask my junior level sewing skills. I took in the bust about 4 inches and raised the shoulders by 4 inches as well. That made the sleeve openings slightly smaller but I actually liked that, so no harm done. 

The original button at the neckline was a matching magenta one that needed to be moved over to accommodate my alterations. I decided to replace that button with a vintage domed white one to add a bit of contrast to the already very pink dress. The original belt in the same paisley fabric was actually still with this dress, but again, because the print is quite prominent I decided to make a belt that would break up the dress a bit and help define my waist. To make the belt, I used the bottom of a green jersey dress that I had hemmed earlier and had saved the fabric. Because jersey doesn't fray I was able to just cut the fabric and leave the edge unfinished. I have a bag of vintage buckles so I selected a white plastic one that matched my button neckline and just pulled the green fabric sash though to use. The back is just tied in a loose bow. 

I tried to keep the accessories pretty low-key so as not to overwhelm the look. I made a bobby pin flower in a magenta color and the center is one of my grandmother's brooches. For jewelry, I decided to just wear a ring because my neckline was already embellished by the dress and you couldn't see my ears with my pin curls. "Harriet", an antique hydrangea button ring from my shop, was a perfect understated accessory that still brought out some of the green hiding in the dress pattern. 

I got to try out my new pink lipstick too! I never wore lipstick before this year. I purchased my first red lipstick several months ago to try out a 40s style lip and quickly fell in love. This is only my second lipstick purchase and I'm thrilled with it too! I think it pairs quite perfectly with my dress color! 

I didn't get dolled up for nothing. The hubs and I went out for Mexican food and sangrias at my very favorite restaurant in Raleigh, Centro. Yum!!

Retro Paisley Day Outfit ~ ChatterBlossom #retro #1960 #paisley #fashion

Retro Day Look on ChatterBlossom #1960 #1950 #pink #retro #vintage
Dress: Early 1960s from The Cleveland Shop
Hair Flower: From my shop, ChatterBlossom
Belt: Made by me from vintage buckle and jersey
Ring: Antique button ring "Harriet" from ChatterBlossom
Shoes: Express
Lipstick: Mineral Fusion "Intensity"

Vintage Paisley Dress Detail ~ ChatterBlossom #paisley #1960 #1950 #fashion

Last Week's Sunday Snag:




Follow on Bloglovin

35 comments:

  1. Looking gorgeous as always!!! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second pose of yours is super cute...as is the dress itself. This is perfect for a night out eating Mexi food!

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went out for Sangrias because you look really festive in that ensemble! The lipstick goes perfectly with your outfit. I can't believe you are new to wearing lipstick, especially because you like vintage looks. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! I just never thought lipstick looked right on me. It was actually trying a 40s lip that converted me. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous dress! I hope you danced as well as Sangrias.

    Kate x
    Kate at Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it may be dangerous to see me dance after sangrias! haha! ;-)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful color! I hope you enjoyed your night out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paisley is such a pretty print and you rock it beautifully! I love your make up too, so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress. A total home run for you. It makes me want to go scope Etsy for a paisley dress too! I really do love this dress on you:)) You look beautiful:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOoh, you should! You would look super pretty in paisley!

      Delete
  8. Love this pretty printed dress, paisleys are so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this look on you!! the pink and green are perfect combined!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful on you.

    Great work altering it to fit you better.

    I just love the colours and that pink lipstick is divine.

    You look like you just walked off a movie set : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always dahling... you look Marvelous! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous print and color. Amazing dress. Smart move not to distract from it with over-accessorizing. And your lip-color is perfect. How can it be that you didn't wear lipstick before??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just don't think I knew how to do lipstick in a way that worked for me. Or couldn't find a color or type? Who knows!

      Delete
  13. Your outfit is adorable. I love the magenta in the outfit, and of course the accessories are the greatest.

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/2013/07/guest-blogger-captain.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you're wearing lipstick!!!! You look fabulous and I love that you altered the dress yourself. I would love to learn proper sewing skills.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to learn proper sewing skills too! lol I have no idea what I'm doing. I just try to see how much the dress needs to come in and then fold it under and sew. That is some horrible sewing, but it works and I get to wear something that I love, so I guess it's okay? ;-)

      Delete
  15. I like paisley prints but never owned one too. I'm glad you were able to 'snag' this one because it looks beautiful on you. I am quite impressed with your sewing skill. Are you dancing in the All Balboa? If so, I hope you're on video - I'd love to see you dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dancing at All Balboa, but I don't believe I would be in any of the videos because I didn't take part in any of the competitions. Freaks me out. ;-)

      Delete
  16. Cute! I like paisley a lot too, but don't own a bit of it! Love the lipstick, and I can't believe the alterations you did- it looks great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love paisley print too! Your dress is so lovely Jamie, I like how the dash of green of the patten is paired with your eyes!:) Kisses and happy Monday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're very lucky to be able to make your own alterations. I know I'd mess that up. I like paisley too and you've selected a really pretty dress/print.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paisley is a great print! I like the color of the dress. And I bet all the dancing and vendors made for a great time. =0)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. How interesting ... I have always loved and worn paisley prints, it's such a classic one. I love that dress, especially with the green belt. It's gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous outfit on you, love the paisley print! Such a sweet dress for going out to dinner too. I wish you a fabulous week, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so charming and lovely!! love the hair and makeup! flawless!

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love (underline that word at least a million times) this resplendently pretty, cheerful, super fun vintage paisley print dress!

    I so adore paisley (I wrote a post about my passion for it earlier this year), especially that from the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, when the pattern was seen on mid-century styles (as opposed to the counterculture/hippie/boho pieces of the 60s and 70s, which are fab in their own right of course, too, but aren't usually what I did to sport myself), and would have swooped down like a hawk on this wonderful piece if I'd spotted it.

    You really, really look gorgeous in pink paisley, honey!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your post! That actually came to mind when I saw the dress. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have tried it on, but after seeing your post, I thought paisley might be a fun pattern to try!

      Delete
  24. you look adorable! i love your dress, i don't actually own anything paisley myself. and whenever i find vintage items that don't fit me right i just pass them up because i know i won't wear them, i really do need to learn how to do basic alterations because you can save so many dresses you otherwise wouldn't be able to wear.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so should try basic alterations. Just get a piece that doesn't mean much to you and try to alter it to practice. You don't need to know "how". I never learned. Just try to be resourceful and give it your best shot!

      Delete
  25. You look lovely in paisley, and the colour is perfect. When Terry and I first got married we decorated our sitting room with purple paisley wallpaper – on all four walls! It makes us smile when we look at the ‘photos now. The paisley print was enormous and very purple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh goodness. oh. wow, hard to imagine actually! lol

      Delete