Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Sunday Snag – A Sparkling Night Atop the Stars

1940s Black Tilt Hat

Teaser #2!

If you didn't get the chance to see what Teaser #1 was or have not a clue as to what I'm doing, click here for a full explanation. 

Here is the second purchase off my Bucket List outfit. I want to say this is my favorite, but I realize as I type this that I say that with every piece of this outfit and am completely sincere each time! Obviously, I've never been able to just buy an entire outfit where every piece was an absolute favorite, so this is a new experience for me. And, I must say, not a very challenging one! A girl could get used to this.

I believe I've told you all before that I didn't own a hat, let alone a vintage one. Many of you were surprised, but let me explain. I have a baby sized head. No, for reals. Hats eat me up. I don't have big hair either, that could mask my tiny head. Nope, I'm stuck with fine, super straight hair, tiny non-human sized ears, and little head. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but everyone exaggerates when it comes to your own body. Now, don't get the wrong idea. I have a pretty healthy body image all around. I'm happy with my tiny head. I'm just also realistic and know that I can't wear certain things or that body characteristic would be pronounced. 

I was sure that there was probably a hat that would work for me, I just hadn't found it yet. Until now, that is. I assumed that I would need a hat that was in proportion to my head. I wouldn't want to go big or bold in the overall size of the hat itself. Also, having a hat sit on the top or center of my head spotlights that proportion oddity. So all that to say, I think a smallish hat that would sit on the side or at a tilt would be most flattering for me. 

Luckily, I'm overwhelmingly drawn to the 1940s and guess what?! That is the decade of the tilt hat! I love the jaunty little tilt of a hat on a women (or man, for that matter!). It just seems flirty and fun. I figured if I could find a smaller sized piece from this period, I would love it. 

And I do, I really really do! I found this hat at Flatiron Vintage, which I cannot recommend highly enough. That shop has an entire treasure trove of every era, head topping lovelies. Tova, the owner and curator, is an absolute doll and was supremely helpful and nice. My hat purchase was this beauty from the 1940s, with a small base covered in tiny black sequins. It has a lace covered ring in back to secure it to the head and a cute little velvet bow accent. 

My dainty hat arrived in its own little hat box, covered and filled with tissue to keep its shape. Couldn't have been sweeter and given this is my very first hat purchase, it was wonderful to get a box that I can keep it stored in too!  

It fits beautifully and I just started laughing with glee when I put it on and ran to the mirror! It's just so darn cute! I tried pin curls in my hair again later and the hat looked even more fun that time. 

Next week is the dress teaser!! Stay tuned!!

 1940s Black Sequin Tilt Hat with Lace and Velvet Bow


Last Week's Sunday Snag:



Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments:

  1. Ahhh...your life is so full of love and romance. I am so happy that you found such a pretty hat to go with that pretty face of yours.
    Jayne
    Handmade Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You doll. I enjoy your comments so much. Always brighten my day. ;-)

      Delete
  2. i love the vintage hat idea! i might have to add this on my list too!


    Delightful Ideas
    ABCMouse Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate! Growing up, I never thought hats looked good on me either (in part because I don't have a very big head either, and also because of the shape of my head and length of my forehead) - none of the styles of the day worked one iota. Well, it turns out, as I discovered when I became a teenager and started buying vintage clothing, that I just wasn't a modern hat person and that many vintage styles (especially 40s tilt hats - love them sooo much!) did indeed work on me, which works out great for someone like me who wears mid-century vintage all the time.

    I'm so happy that you found a gorgeous vintage hat that you love and which fits you well. Here's to the hope that many more classic beauties like this come your way over time, too, dear Jamie!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There seems to be many of us small shaped headed ladies around. Good thing we love vintage!

      Delete
  4. I never use hats for my outfits except of beach. I am glad that you now have such lovely little hat to complete your look. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you are very preety <3

    would you like follow each other??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie! :) I have the EXACT same problem you do. Modern hats most often hats me because of my childsized head. However vintage loves me. :) I have quite a nice (little) collection of vintage hats & yes. I do wear them. I will happily check out Flatiron Vintage. So happy for you doll & I can't wait to see the rest of your outfit. Xo

    Debra@stylewisebydebra.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that hat! Yeah if you and I got together in the same city...some major wallet damage would be done....
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hat is absolutely gorgeous! I loved it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so cute!! I love this whole idea, and might just have to do it for myself :)

    Can't wait to see the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This hat is so cute---it almost looks like a mini beret!

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful hat, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's one lovely hat! and I can't wait to see the whole outfit, I have the feeling that it's gonna be something sensational! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol aww your baby sized head! Well, your first purcahse was a fabulous one. What a classy and elegant hat. I've been looking for something like this for so long, you look adorable. Now you should go to Paris!

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore hats (of course you know that!) This one is so beautiful! Love the sequins! It will be perfect for you! I have a really tiny head too and I have to get most of hats fitted with some foam to fit me! LOL!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you lovelies! I was so excited and you all made it that much lovelier with your super nice comments! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Jamie that hat is just beautiful! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your hat, it looks so pretty and understated and elegant. i have about a million berets and a few bowler hats and boaters and whatnot, but no beautiful vintage hats like this - i'm not sure if i'd get much wear out of them to be honest but the only way to find out is to get one and try it!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete